On Thursday, the United States has approved a potential $450 million sale to provide Pakistan with services to sustain its fleet of F-16 fighter jets, the Pentagon said.
“The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to the Government of Pakistan of F-16 Case for Sustainment and related equipment for an estimated cost of $450 million,” the Pentagon said in a press release on Wednesday.
The package includes US government and contractor engineering, technical, and logistics services to support Pakistan’s F-16 fleet, the release said.
This sale does not provide Pakistan with any new capabilities, weapons, or munitions, the release said.
The Pentagon underscored that this sale is critical for retaining Pakistan’s interoperability with US and partner forces in ongoing counterterrorism efforts and in preparation for future contingency operations.
The principal contractor will be Lockheed Martin Corp(LMT.N), the Pentagon said. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale.
The Government of Pakistan has requested to consolidate prior F-16 sustainment and support cases to support the Pakistan Air Force F-16 fleet by reducing duplicate case activities and adding additional continued support elements. Included are US government and contractor engineering, technical, and logistics services for follow-on support of Pakistan’s F-16 fleet to include:
- Participation in F-16 Aircraft Structural Integrity Program
- Electronic Combat International Security Assistance Program
- International Engine Management Program
- Engine Component Improvement Program, and other technical coordination groups
- Aircraft and engine hardware and software modifications and support
- Aircraft and engine spare repair/return parts
- Accessories and support equipment
- Classified and unclassified software and software support
- Publications, manuals, and technical documentation
- Precision measurement, calibration, lab equipment, and technical support services