According to the most recent rankings, the National University of Sciences & Technology (NUST) and Quaid-e-Azam University (QAU) are the only two Pakistani universities to be listed among the top 100 universities in Asia.
In the Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) Asia University Rankings 2023, Islamabad-based NUST rose seven positions to claim the 67th position. Quaid-i-Azam University, which occupies the 95th position, is listed after NUST.
Quacquarelli Symonds, one of the most renowned and frequently regarded university-ranking organizations in the world, has ranked as many as 760 universities in the most recent Asian Rankings.
Some other Pakistani institutions featured in the top 500 of Asia University Rankings 2023 include:
- The Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS)(115)
- The University of Punjab (140)
Other institutions under 500 include:
- COMSATS University Islamabad (142)
- University of Engineering and Technology (UET) Lahore (165)
- Pakistan Institute of Engineering and Applied Sciences (PIEAS)(193)
- University of Agriculture Faisalabad(210)
- University of Peshawar (221)
- Aga Khan University (223)
- International Islamic University Islamabad (IIUI) (241)
- University of Karachi(271-280)
- The University of Lahore(281-290)
- Government College University Faisalabad (301-350)
- Air University Pakistan (351-400)
- Bahauddin Zakariya University (351-400)
- Abdul Wali Khan University Mardan (401-450)
- Iqra University (401-450)
- Mehran University of Engineering and Technology (401-450)
- NED University of Engineering and Technology (401-450)
- The National University of Computer and Emerging Sciences (401-450)
- Bahria University, Islamabad. Pakistan (451-500)
- Government College University Lahore (451-500)
- Government College Women University Faisalabad (451-500)
- Institute of Space Technology (IST) (451-500)
- University of Central Punjab (UCP) (451-500)
- University of Malakand, Chakdara (451-500)
- University of Management and Technology (UMT) (451-500)
- University of Sargodha(451-500)
The QS rankings are based on factors such staff with Ph.D.s, internationalization, faculty/student ratio, citations per paper, paper per faculty, employer reputation, and faculty/student ratio.