FBR is the Federal Board of Revenue for the government of Pakistan. It was created on the 31st of august 1960 as an attached department of the Ministry of Finance. Changes were then made in 1974 to the organization and structure of the FBR. The status of FBR as a Revenue Division was restored under the Ministry of Finance in 1991, this was done to remove impediments in the exercise of administrative powers of a Secretary to the government along with the effective formulation and implementation of the fiscal policy measures.
Current Chairman of FBR: Mr. Asim Ahmad
To be a modern, progressive, effective, autonomous, and credible organization in order to optimize revenues by providing quality service and promoting compliance with tax and related laws.
Enhance the capability of the tax system to collect due taxes through the application of modern techniques, providing taxpayer assistance, and creating a motivated, satisfied, dedicated workforce.
Functions of FBR
The Federal Board of Revenue – FBR is an organization developed to perform a number of functions in Pakistan, that involves:
- Identifying the withholding agents
- Facilitating the issuance of NTN/FTN to unregistered withholding agents in respective regional tax offices via the Pakistan Revenue Automation Limited.
- Developing accounting policies for the appropriation of the deduction to the regional tax offices/ large taxpayers’ unit
- Reviewing and recommending suitable processes and filing structures of withholding statements that are compatible with the income tax environment
- Monitoring the certification of exemption from withholding taxes, issued by concerned tax authorities for the proper utilization by all concerned.
- Suggesting the FBR amendments and modifications.
- Adopting ways and means for educating and facilitating the prescribed persons and other stakeholders.
- Collating information on withholding taxes withheld or collected and deposited for various purposes.
- Performing the necessary work for achieving the objectives of the organization and discharging all functions.
- Getting the orders passed under relevant provisions of the income tax ordinance and imposing additional tax and penalty to ensure the recovery of tax that is not deducted or collected by the withholding agent.
- Verifying and cross-checking the monthly statements of withholding taxes with tax deposits, returns, declarations, and other information relevant to the taxpayers.
- Checking, supervising, ascertaining, monitoring, reconciling, and properly enforcing the Withholding regime and other provisions of Income-tax ordinances all over Pakistan.
- Adopting ways and means for monitoring the deductions, collections, and payments of tax.
- Controlling possible leakages of withholding taxes.
- Enforcing prescribed statements.
- Maintain the proper record of withholding taxes and prescribed persons.
Organizational Structure of FBR
Chairman FBR is the central person and right now the chairman of FBR is Mr. Asim Ahmed, there are 5 heads under the chairman of FBR and these heads are operational members, policy members, functional members, support members, and 21 directors generals. Operational members include member IR operations and member customs operations. Policy members include the member IR policy and member custom policy. Functional members include members (admin/HR), members PR, and members (audit and accounting). Support members include member legal, member IT, member legal and accounting, and member reforms and modernization. 21 director generals including 11 customs DGs and 10 IR DGs.