“Currently, the NBP services to its customers are disrupted, but we are working to address the breach and remain confident that essential customer services will be restored by November 1,” says NBP.
“All transactions, both financial and non-financial are completely functional and safe,” says NBP
“There was no downtime from Thursday till now, and the transaction volumes suggest that customers are conducting transactions as usual.”
“Neither customer data is compromised, nor through the 1LINK grid or its member banks.”
The NBP said customers could comfortably conduct their transactions using their accounts, mobile apps, internet banking and debit and credit cards through all available channels, i.e. ATMs, POS terminals, internet banking, mobile banking, OTC and other digital means.
However, it advised customers to practice extreme caution in safeguarding their digital credentials which are required to perform transactions, including ATM pins, passwords, OTP, etc.
“The mainframe computer of the bank had totally remained unaffected from the cyberattack and personal computers had been disconnected from the mainframe as they are infected. Some 40-50 foreign as well as local experts are working to disinfect the system as we speak.” says NBP President Arif Usmani.
He said 3 highly professional companies including Microsoft were engaged to make the bank fully functional today.
“This attack is similar to the one encountered by the FBR (Federal Board of Revenue) mid october, which took almost 2 weeks to fully recover from the attack” he said.