Iran will continue discussions with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) in the coming days, but further steps will depend on the lifting of sanctions, Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei said on Monday.
Speaking at his weekly press briefing, Baghaei reaffirmed Tehran’s willingness to adopt measures that could reassure the world about the peaceful nature of its nuclear program. However, he stressed that this readiness is conditional on the removal of what he described as “oppressive sanctions.”
“Our relationship with the Agency is direct,” he noted, pointing out that IAEA deputies had visited Tehran last week, while Iran’s envoy in Vienna remains in regular contact with the U.N. nuclear watchdog.
Criticism of European States
Baghaei strongly criticized Britain, France, and Germany for suggesting they might trigger the snapback mechanism to reinstate U.N. sanctions on Iran.
“The very act of Europe using this tool as a means of pressure against Iran is an illegal move,” he said, accusing the three countries of failing to uphold their commitments under the 2015 nuclear deal (JCPOA) and of staying silent over alleged Israeli and U.S. attacks on Iran’s nuclear facilities.
While insisting that Tehran has never cut off dialogue with European powers, he warned that they must choose whether to “play a constructive role or align themselves with the Zionist regime.”
Regional Concerns in the Caucasus
On regional issues, Baghaei said Iran remains closely watchful of developments in the South Caucasus. He stressed that efforts to unblock new transport routes must not come at the expense of internationally recognized borders or Armenia’s sovereignty.
His remarks followed a U.S.-brokered peace deal between Armenia and Azerbaijan, which grants Washington leasing rights to develop the Zangezur transit route, now to be renamed the Trump Route for International Peace and Prosperity (TRIPP).
Response to Epstein Speculation
Commenting on media reports linking the Jeffrey Epstein case to U.S.-Iran negotiations, Baghaei dismissed such claims as baseless.
“The so-called Epstein case is not limited to the United States. Many officials from different countries were implicated. We do not engage in speculation about the motives of U.S. officials. What matters to us are their actions and Iran’s interests,” he said.